The mission of the Commonwealth Corps service internship program is to engage Massachusetts residents of all ages, backgrounds, and identities in direct service to strengthen communities, address critical needs, and increase volunteerism. Through hands-on experience, Commonwealth Corps members gain professional skills and valuable knowledge while positively impacting diverse communities in our state.
The Massachusetts Service Alliance (MSA) is a private, nonprofit agency that oversees the program and supports host site partners and members to find success throughout the program year. The two Commonwealth Corps members with Kids in Tech will serve 10 months in a half-time capacity. They will join a diverse corps of members across Massachusetts who share a common desire to discover their passion and build their network in the service to their communities and the Commonwealth.
Kids in Tech strives to excite, educate, and empower children to acquire skills and confidence in
technology through interactive after-school programs that help kids develop the necessary tech skills and aptitudes to participate in and be future leaders of the 21st Century innovation economy. The Commonwealth Corps members with Kids in Tech will be building the capacity of the KIT Tech Club program in Lowell.
What You’ll Do:
● Complete a minimum of 750 hours of service, serving through June 24, 2023.
● Attend a minimum of 6 Commonwealth Corps trainings and service events held by MSA post
● Participate in a minimum of 30 minutes of MSA-related activities each week. This may include
filling out timesheets, completing a bi-monthly reflection or check-in, or other MSA-related tasks
● Assist with leading the meetings and activities of after-school Tech Clubs two to four times a
● Recruit, organize, and mobilize new volunteers for after-school programming
● Take a leadership role in student recruitment for Tech Club participation
● Help coordinate Tech Club activities with Lowell Public Schools
● Serve as a full member of the KIT team, attending staff and program team meetings.
● Collaborate with KIT Curriculum Writer to refine the Tech Club curricula
● Assist in developing relationships with potential new host sites and establishment of new Tech
● Assist in the planning of Tech Club field trips and career days
● Train in the use SAYO-Y to collect data on our student participants’ experience with the Tech
● Assist in developing relationships with local businesses and professionals willing to host Tech
Club field trips and participate in career days
● Be part of the greater Commonwealth Corps community, including participating in cross-site
learning groups, writing a short profile for the CC newsletter, connecting with other members
on our online platforms, and attending optional social/service events.
Who You Are:
You must be:
● A Massachusetts resident (see guidelines here) with legal authorization to work in the United
● 18 years of age at minimum (member age range is 18 – 70+ years old)
● Excited to give back to your community and interested in developing your skills and gaining new professional experiences
● Able to balance service internship commitments with personal commitments in a sustainable
● Able to read and write fluently in English
● Have an express interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM)
● Willing to learn various coding languages (CSS, HTML, Python, etc.) and/or other tech subjects
● Curious, patient, and excited to support programs for children aged 8-14 in various STEM
subjects that instill an enthusiastic lifetime love of learning
It would also be great if you:
● Have experience managing young children
● Have prior experience in Science, Technology, Engineering, and/or Math
● Have a working knowledge of any coding languages (e.g., CSS, HTML, Python, etc.)
● Have some experience with Microsoft Office
● Speak a language other than English, especially Spanish — multi-lingual candidates are
encouraged to apply
What You’ll Get:
● Stipend of $550 semi-monthly while in service, up to $11,550, minus taxes and withholdings;
● Member assistance program, including unlimited, confidential, 24/7, phone counseling services and up to three free, in-person counseling sessions, plus a lot more;
● Completion award of up to $2000 upon successful completion of service, minus taxes and
● Reimbursement for outside training or professional development opportunities relevant to
member’s service and/or goals (Up to $100; Dependent on approval from MSA)
● Monthly MBTA pass;
● Training from KIT in curriculum design and pedagogy
● Support toward recognized professional certification in in-demand coding languages (e.g. CSS,
HTML, Python), if applicable;
● Extensive training from MSA with a diversity, equity and inclusion focus and other
professional development opportunities,
● Limited reimbursement for travel to Corps-wide MSA-sponsored activities;
● Internet reimbursement up to $50/month while required to complete some service from home;
● Limited travel reimbursement from their host site for certain service-related travel away from
their usual service location, according to KIT policy;
● A daily (5 days/week) lunch per diem from KIT;
● Mental Health/Personal Day once per month counting towards 4 hours;
● The opportunity for at least 5 days of planned absences (may include holidays; does not count
toward hours requirement)
Please note that receipt of these stipends/benefits may impact an individual’s eligibility for certain public benefits.
Term of Service:
● Position Start Date: August 22, 2022
● Position End Date: June 24, 2023
● Service commitment: 20 hours per week during the following days/times M-F, 9AM-5PM. Tech
Clubs meet between 3PM and 6PM for one hour. If you are assigned to participate in a Tech
Club that meets at 5PM or 6PM, your start time will be adjusted so that your day does not
exceed 4 hours. Remaining service hours (outside the Tech Club commitment) will include
necessary training, orientation and meeting obligations, volunteer recruitment and other
related duties as assigned.
How to Apply:
● To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Olu Ibrahim, Executive Director at
email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and reviewed as they are received with
priority given to applications received by April 15, 2022. Applications must be received by June
1, 2022, in order to be considered.
Accepted members will be required to undergo a criminal history and sexual offender background check. Kids in Tech will recruit and select persons in all positions to ensure a diverse and inclusive climate without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, color, political affiliation, creed, national origin, marital status, or any other status as protected by federal, state, and local laws. Kids in Tech welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodations for interviews and for service upon request.